I am one with nature…
Well, you guys (gals), I was taken hostage by a colony of wild bears for the past couple of months. They were peaceful bears. I worked as a pseudo-yoga instructor for the colony. I also discovered many uses for berries. I danced with the bears. It was a jolly good time. I may or may not even be the subject of a new docu-drama (starring Giselle as me).
Ok, so… I was really locked in the library.
I will be back to regular posting within the week. Thanks for the concerning messages! I hope I addressed everyone. I AM INDEED ALIVE! Woohoo. If anyone is wondering, here are some things I have accomplished in the past few months, Tumblr-free:
- scored a photography internship (if you want to follow my photos/music obsession, feel free to follow at mountainoflattes.tumblr.com, it’s really random, though, but I post regularly). Unpaid so I will still be slaving away at my dead-end retail job until July, when I get to work at science camp! DREAM COME TRUE.
- finished a 30 day hot yoga challenge (I did 30 days straight, I know, I can’t believe it either)
- ran my first half-marathon (and am training for my second)
- switched my major (I am now a Psych major and Cellular Bio minor, it was the other way around, previously)
- scored a 4.0 in my second semester, even with the evil bastard that is Organic Chemistry (!!!!)
- fell for a boy (and subsequently got my heart broken… love sucks, you guys)
- made several bad, drunken life decisions
- made even more good, sober life decisions (they outweigh the bad ones, I promise)
- spent my spring break integrated with the at-risk youth population here in Calgary, crafting a digital photography/video project for the United Way (will be online shortly!). It was eye-opening, but it was a wonderful and rare opportunity that I will cherish.
- finished screenplays for two short films, and am in the process of filming one. WOOHOO!
- was scouted on two different occasions. I think that the modeling world and I do not belong together anymore. But the story of that is one for another place and time. It’s flattering, though (and really helps with the integrity of the blog name, don’tcha think?)
Any questions for the Model Yogini? Ask away, and namaste!
Alrighty, off to go on my Saturday long run today,
aka 18 km straight to my grave
Hello fellow yoginis! What better than enjoying a Saturday watching movies and eating chocolate desserts? Here’s the recipe for the chocolate tarte I am currently devouring, courtesy of my fave fave fave vegan food blogger, Angela Liddon @ Oh She Glows.
- 1 cup + 6 tbsp whole grain spelt flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup white sugar OR 1/2 cup sugar + 1/3 cup Sucanat
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 cups avocado flesh (approx 4 medium avocados), pitted and scooped out
- 1/3 cup almond milk (revised amount)
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, sift together the dry crust ingredients (spelt, cocoa powder, baking powder, arrowroot powder, sugar and salt). In a medium bowl, whisk the wet crust ingredients (oil, maple syrup, milk). Add wet to dry and stir well.
In a 10 inch springform cake pan, scoop on the crust batter and spread out with a wet spoon or wet hands. The batter will be very sticky so you will have to keep wetting your spoon/hands. Spread out as evenly as possible and bake for 25 minutes at 375F.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling by placing all filling ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor. Process until smooth.
Once the crust is done baking, remove from oven to slightly cool off for about 5-10 mins. Now melt your chocolate chips in a small bowl and place melted chocolate into food processor mixture. Process until smooth. Scoop this filling into cake pan on top of crust. Smooth out as much as possible and then place in the freezer for 1.5-2 hours to firm up.
Remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes before serving chilled. Serves 10-12. Place leftover torte in the freezer wrapped and placed in a seal container.>>
Just baked some vegan blondies courtesy of Chocolate Covered Katie…
Who knew you could make such great desserts with a can of chickpeas? Stay tuned for a recipe posting in the coming hours - seriously, fellow yoginis, you must try them :)
I’m about to start one of the busiest weeks in life, basically - organizing Health Week, AGD Initiation, 2 full length scientific papers, working on a 12 page history paper due December 9, labs, physics, classes, working Fashion Night Out at The Core on Wednesday… If I survive this week, I think I deserve like an award or prize or something. Seriously.
But I’ll still be posting - stay tuned for recipes, photos, wise words and rants, yoginis!
The Cottage By The Beach - Dario Marianelli (from the Atonement soundtrack)>>
Did you all miss me?
I see that some of my photos have been reblogged a TON. Glad to see some movement despite my absence! I find that ever since I took my unintended (and long) hiatus, I’ve had the tendency to slack a bit on my healthy lifestyle.
Which is ironic, since I’m organizing Healthy Eating week at my university this week! I feel kind of like a hypocrite for giving workshops and handing out free fresh fruit and veg when all I’ve been eating for the past several weeks are bagels and coffee. The library cafe is not particularly the best source for healthy eating.
So here I am, as finals approach, to hold myself accountable to treating my body like a temple.
The Model Yogini became Little Miss Piggie these past few months and it’s time to feel good about myself and my health again!
Expect frequent posting, more pictures of my beautiful face (obviously), and tons more healthy recipes, yoga photos, and inspirational words! Let’s get the show on the road!>>
photoshoot: midterm stylez
model: zahra c (aka the model yogini)
I thought I’d provide you all with a little snippet of my life right now - it’s dominated by books (all I see in my head are line angle drawings for Chemistry) and Ashtanga twice a week (my only remaining snippet of sanity) and sorority life and extracurriculars and boy troubles.
But photoshoots at home on Thursday nights while frantically finishing a History paper tend to brighten my mood.
Back to regular posting next week!
I turned 20 this week, wrote three midterms and a history paper, volunteered several hours and pledged Alpha Gamma Delta at my university (recruitment was hectic but SO worth it)! It has been a very busy past few weeks, and I apologize for leaving on an unintended hiatus. I promise I will be back in the coming weeks once midterm season is over (next week is going to be CRAZY). I promise to do lots of yoga and post more photos and answer any questions any of you might have.
Here’s to the rigours of life, the value of an education, the importance of friendship and sisterhood, and to peace of mind!>>
Devenir immortel… et puis mourir.